Saturday, August 29, 2009

Faith: Dressing the part


Just got back from wedding dress shopping with my mom and I am definitely exhausted. Taking dresses off + putting them on = a lot of work, especially when none of the dresses are actually your size and they either have to be held so you don't fall out of them, or you have to be zipped into a dress one or two sizes smaller than your ribs can handle.

I have, however, come to the conclusion that I am not going to go for the traditional white wedding dress (or cream or champagne or dove gray or ivory) because, let's face it, white means nothing anymore. It's basically due to tradition and the fact that many brides have dreamed of their wedding day since girlhood. I, on the other hand, had better things to think about as a young girl, and thus never had any preconceived notions of what my future wedding dress would look like, so I'm thinking... turquoise (or "lake" as it's called in the picture above) seems like a very lovely colour. Plus I already have 2 yards of turquoise silk that I bought from when I was in Thailand, and it's the most beautiful silk I've ever seen.

So, you might be wondering, what is the point of dress shopping is when I already have the silk? Well, silly, the point is to get ideas of what looks good on me so that I can then try and find a dress pattern that looks similar. Make sense? And so today's shopping excursion boils down to these five dresses:
  1. White English net dress with surplice front draped midriff. Feathered and beaded flowers on skirt. Puddle train.
  2. White English net dress with lace applique at bodice and skirt with keyhole back. Sweep train.
  3. Lace bustier dress with sweetheart neckline, contrast taffeta bodice, satin waistband with bow and black/beige contrast lace skirt with tulle petticoat.
  4. Embroidered netting bustier with square neck, drop waist and short full skirt & tulle petticoat.
  5. Strapless chiffon over charmeuse informal wedding dress with lace trimmed sweetheart neckline, beaded lace bust line with twist detail and Empire waistline.
So, now all that's left to do is find a pattern, cut the fabric and sew a dress... uuuurgh. Fun times.


Much love,
Faith

2 comments:

  1. ah, Faith that is so wonderful! I think that its a great idea that you are not going with the traditional white. The silk sounds exciting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Holly. Now to find a pattern to go with the material, eh?

    ~Faith

    ReplyDelete